Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Was Scammed in Elementary School

Elementary school was supposed to prepare you for middle school. Do you remember how they always told you about sharing a building with big,scary and probably hairy 8th graders? I was petrified. This is all despite the fact that realistically I was throwing rocks at much older kids on the playground in kindergarten.

Then middle school scared/prepared you for high school, which prepared you for college, so you could get an entry-level job, and climb the corporate ladder, to one day rule the world……


Or you could do it like Mark Zuckerburg: Drop out of college and start your own world, but they forgot to mention that to me.


They also forgot to mention that I would never need cursive, except when signing my life away for a new pair of boots. Or that I could realistically avoid any form of geometry or math higher than algebra if I became a journalism major (thank god for that!). Nor did anyone tell me that learning the basics of your job doesn’t require knowledge of International Advertising.


Seriously, I must have missed the lecture on how to properly feed the label paper into the printer. Why does it always print horizontally when the labels are going vertically? Heck if I know – hence the reason we may be spending a little more on mailing this year.


But in all honesty (and pardon me for getting a little Nicholas Sparks on you today), despite all the trickery and deceit, our teachers really knew what they were doing.


Beyond reading, writing and ‘rithmatic – they taught us that learning doesn’t have to just come from a book.


Perfect example: I am including a link to vote for a project by students from Kent Roosevelt High School – Yes, I am a proud alumna. With some knowledge, creativity and a little help from their teacher, they are currently one of only ten schools to be picked as national finalists as part of Samsung’s Solve for Tomorrow project.


Read more about it here: http://recordpub.com/news/article/4970647

AND VOTE HERE: https://pages.samsung.com/us/sft/video/index.jsp


These kids deserve some serious credit, because I was too busy figuring out which door I could sneak back in at lunch to do something this cool (Sorry Sidoti). So let's help them out.


As a final thought, I would like to point out that I would clearly DOMINATE Mavis Beacon at this point in my life – BOOOYAH 2nd grade teacher, who has the most WPM's now!

No comments:

Post a Comment